Saturday, December 19, 2015

Neat use of Read & Write for Google

As my students are claiming to be finished editing and revising their writing, I realized that they sure are missing some very clear errors that I can't believe they aren't seeing.  After all, as I read these drafts I am hearing egregious mistakes that have me baffled.  Then it hit me that they aren't "hearing" their errors.  Therefore, today I had my students use Read & Write for Google to help students "hear" their errors.  This little application available in the Chrome Web Store works wonderfully by highlighting some text and hitting the play button.  While the reading voice is a tad robotic, it works well enough to allow students those "What did that just say?!" moments that equate to significant improvements in the writing.

Once you’ve added the extension in the chrome web store, just click on the Read and Write puzzle piece:  
The toolbar will drop down:
Highlight some text in your document, click on the play button,

and the text will be read to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment